Friday, September 7, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup + Enchiladas/Date Night

I swear, I am either incredibly good at posting/keeping up on things, or I can be a complete failure and not do stuff for months at a time. So, since it's slow at work today, I figured I would add in two posts. The first one is of a delicious dinner that I made last night; chicken tortilla soup with homemade tortilla chips and avocado, and cheese enchiladas with red sauce. 

This tortilla soup is actually one of my new favorite recipes that I have discovered recently, and I pretty much follow it exactly as seen on the website. The only changes that I make are that I use 2 jalapeno peppers and 2 serrano chilies for an extra kick, I use 6 tortillas instead of 4, I double the amount of corn that it says to put in, and I use pepper jack cheese. I also decided to garnish with homemade tortilla chips and freshly-diced avocado, and they went perfectly with it. This is the second time that I have made this soup, and I liked it a lot more. Still very smooth and creamy, but with a great spicy flavor to it that was slightly tempered by the cream and pepper jack that I added in last-minute. Yum
What you see on the plate with the soup are cheese enchiladas (colby jack cheese), with red sauce and pepper jack cheese sprinkled on top. While I was making the soup, my helper made one of his specialties, these enchiladas. They were incredible as well, and went along nicely with the soup.

By the way, can we talk about how nice it is to make a legitimate dinner with a guy? Don't get me wrong, I love cooking for people (particularly the special guy in my life), but there's just something really nice about listening to music, talking, and making a meal that turns out like this together. I highly recommend it for a simple, romantic date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment